Removing The Invisibility Cloak From My Invisible Illness

Click this link —> YouTube Channel Where You Can Find The Audio Recorded By Me If You Rather Listen, labeled Ep. 1 Removing The Invisibility Cloak From My Invisible Ilness, The Audio Has Subtitles As Well. 

Don't Forget To Subscribe. Thank You 


There’s a version of me that my friends and family know well.

She laughs easily. She shows up when she can. She insists she’s okay more often than she should. She’s capable, resilient, and independent in ways that make everyone believe she’s managing just fine.


And then there’s the version of me I live with every day. 


That version wakes up before the alarm because pain doesn’t respect schedules. She lies still for a few minutes, not out of laziness, but because she has to assess her body before she moves it. 

Energy or none at all. 

Every morning begins with a silent inventory. 

A checklist. 

Every checkmark checked makes the invisibility cloak thicker. 


Only those closest to me have actually experienced.

I don’t tell them about the way my body feels foreign sometimes, like it belongs to someone else, and I’m just borrowing it for the day. I don’t tell them about the mental calculations that happen before I even put my feet on the floor. If I stand up too fast, I might fall. If I push too hard, I’ll pay for it later. If I rest too long, I’ll feel guilty for not doing enough.


So, most days I try to stand up anyway.


By the time my family or friends see me, I’m already performing. Hair brushed. Clothes on. Voice steady. Smile ready. They don’t know how long it took me to get there. They don’t see the pauses I took in the bathroom, leaning against the counter, waiting for the room to stop spinning. They don’t see me gripping the edge of the bed, telling myself quietly, 'Just get through this part. This is always the worst part. You just have to push. You are okay '

There are moments during the day that look ordinary from the outside but feel monumental on the inside. Cooking a meal. Folding laundry. Running an errand. Helping someone else. These are things I want to do. Things I love doing. But they come with a cost.

I remember standing in the kitchen once, chopping vegetables, my hands shaking just enough to notice. The counter felt like an anchor. The doom felt louder than it should have. I made a joke about being clumsy, laughed it off, and kept going. 

No one even questioned it. I mean, why would they? It looked harmless. It looked human, and they don't call me Krystal Klutz for nothing. 

What they didn’t see was how much concentration it took to stay upright. I had to slow my breathing to keep the nausea from rising. How I measured every movement so I wouldn’t drop the knife or myself.

I hide those things because I don’t want my family or friends to worry about me. Because I don’t want to burden them. Because I don’t want them to feel guilty.

I don’t talk about the fear that lives quietly in my chest. The fear of unpredictability. The fear of plans falling apart at the last minute. The fear of disappointing people I love, again, because my body changed the rules without asking me first. The fear of being judged behind my back and to my face. 

I don’t talk about the grief either.

Grief is a strange thing when your body is still here, but your life doesn’t look the same as it once did. I grieve the version of myself who didn’t have to plan rest into her day. The version that would say yes without hesitation, and actually mean every word. The version who didn’t feel like she had to earn her existence by pushing through pain or inconvenient feelings of guilt because she is not the same person she was once. 

Not last year, not even last month.

No, she is accepting of herself now. She is entering 2026 as a new version. Not limited, just exclusive. Her energy, her time.

It's exclusive to those who deserve it, those who see her value. Those who try to understand why it took me so long to get there, or why I am late, yet again. 

That grief doesn’t announce itself loudly. It shows up in quiet moments. Watching other people move freely. While I am canceling plans, yet again. Sitting in my car after running a simple errand, needing ten minutes before I can drive home. It’s subtle, persistent, and deeply personal.

I don’t tell my family about the nights I cry in the dark.

Not dramatic sobbing. Just those silent tears. The kind you wipe away quickly because you’re tired and tomorrow is coming whether you’re ready or not. I don’t tell them about the nights my mind won’t rest, replaying every decision, every symptom, every “what if.” I don’t tell them how lonely it can feel to be surrounded by love and still feel unseen.

Because I don’t want to be reduced to my illness.

I don’t want to be monitored, pitied, or handled with caution. I don’t want every conversation to circle back to my body. I want to be known for who I am, not what hurts. So I choose silence more often than I choose honesty.

And sometimes that silence is heavy.


Living with a chronic illness teaches you how to carry invisible weight. It teaches you how to be strong in ways that don’t look impressive. It teaches you how to adapt, how to rest without quitting, how to keep going without pretending you’re invincible.


It also teaches you how to listen to yourself. How to be strong, and yet resilient. 


I’ve learned that strength isn’t loud. It doesn’t always announce itself with productivity or achievement. Sometimes strength looks like stopping before your body forces you to. Sometimes, it looks like choosing rest even when guilt is screaming. Sometimes it looks like admitting, at least to yourself, that this is hard.


I may hide things from my family since they never really understand, anyway. However, I’m learning not to hide from myself.


I’m learning that it’s okay to protect the people I love while still honoring my own reality. It’s okay to share pieces when I’m ready and keep others sacred. It’s okay to exist exactly as I am, even on the days my body doesn’t cooperate.


If you live with a chronic illness, especially one people can’t see, I want you to know this: you are not dramatic, lazy, or weak. You are navigating a life that requires more courage than most people will ever understand.


And even if you hide parts of your story to survive, even if you smile when you’re hurting, even if your strength is quiet and unseen. 


It still counts.


You are still here. You are still trying.

And that matters more than you know. 

You are not alone. You can remove your invisibility cloak now. Just because you suffer from an invisible illness, that doesn't mean you or your needs should become invisible. 

If you know someone battling a chronic illness or invisible illness, share this with them so they know you are okay with them removing their Invisiblity Cloak around you. That you okay with them being exactly them.

Thank you for being here. I will be posting more blogs soon that will touch on other subjects.

Follow me on other platforms or contact me directly via email.


Fb.com/krystalklutzxo

Social Media Handles: @KrystalKlutzXo 

Krystal@soulisticart.com and visit me on my website soulisticart.com

Thank you

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Weight We Shouldn't Be Carrying, At Least Not on Our Own | Written By Krystal Cody

Life Hacks for Managing Your Days When Life Feels Heavy

What Being A Spoonie Means To Me